Arrow Electronics Desktop Engineer - End User Support in Reno, Nevada
Desktop Engineer - End User Support
The Infrastructure Engineer under direct supervision is responsible for the designing, developing, implementing, and supporting the infrastructure. This involves analyzing, configuring, testing and implementing the infrastructure. This may also involve monitoring and controlling the performance and status of the infrastructure. This role will also assist in the support and maintenance of the infrastructure. This may include evaluating and making recommendation in enhancements to the existing infrastructure.
● Assist IE with the planning, engineering, and design of the infrastructure.
● Assist in the development and configuration of the infrastructure from conceptualization through stabilization using various computer platforms, as well, as, assisting with the testing, debugging, performance analysis and documenting of infrastructure components
● Assist in the Implementation of the infrastructure by analyzing the current system environment and infrastructure, using technical tools and utilities, performing complex product customization, and developing implementation and verification procedures to ensure successful installation of systems hardware/software.
● Assist in the implementation of test plans (including functionality, integrity, and stress testing; test matrices; and definition of test methodologies and strategy)
● Ensure that plans integrate effectively with other aspects of the technical infrastructure.
● Has limited discretion to vary from established procedures
● Works under general supervision
● Beginning to solve some straightforward problems
● Has limited work experience involving basic concepts and procedures but requires formal training in theories/concepts in own function
Experience / Education
Typically requires a 4 year degree and 2–4 years of related experience; or an advanced degree without experience; or equivalent work experience.
Infrastructure Engineer I
Arrow Electronics, Inc.
The Infrastructure Engineer I is a hands-on, senior member of the Arrow Electronics IT Infrastructure Support team. The Infrastructure Engineer implements and improves support for mission critical software and hardware to ensure the reliability and sustainability of warehouse and programming center production systems.
Using effective communication, technical, and analytical skills the Infrastructure Engineer provides direct technical support for complex systems including the maintenance and upgrading of systems, manages projects, supports IT and business unit personnel to resolve operational issues, and within delegated authority, supervises support personnel.
This is an internal customer-facing role which requires excellent prioritization, responsiveness, and customer service, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. In keeping with Arrow Electronics values and competencies, the Infrastructure Engineer develops and maintains positive working relationships with all contacts internal and external.
Supervision and Leadership
· Creates, plans and implements formal and informal training of Level II Desktop Support and Helpdesk Personnel.
· Provides leadership to the Desktop Support and Desktop Integration teams by sharing technical information, providing direction, feedback, and coaching on complex support issues.
· Drives results with minimal supervision.
· Provides complex problem and systems support for numerous computer platforms and systems in a global end user support organization.
· Designs and implements solutions to integrate new systems and hardware into the global IT structure while ensuring compliance with security and IT system standards.
· Designs and implements deployment and management solutions to maintain or improve global compliance with Arrow security and device policies.
· Assists with troubleshooting complex network connectivity issues in a LAN/WAN environment.
Level 3 Desktop Support
· Supports IT Team members during complex Windows and Apple operating system and application software issues.
· Supports IT Team members during complex printer and peripherals support issues.
· Provides input to establish desktop hardware configuration user specifications standards that promote business efficiencies while maintaining security and device management requirements.
· Identifies problem trends by monitoring and analyzing support requests and develops and implements comprehensive solutions for systemic issues.
· Requests and coordinates vendor support for systemic or complex problems.
· Requests and coordinates additional Arrow IT and business team support.
· Assists with complex user data and application recovery procedures.
· Recommends, develops and implements diagnostic tools and procedures to troubleshoot problems associated with network connectivity, and workstation hardware/software.
· Recommends, develops and implements support processes and procedures to ensure endpoint devices are compliant with all desktop corporate standards.
· Recommends, develops and implements tools and methodologies to distribute, manage and patch operating system and application software on global user devices.
· Recommends, develops and implements tools and methodologies to track hardware and software licenses and inventory.
· Responds and resolves tickets assigned to the Infrastructure Engineering queue in CA Service Desk.
· Escalates issues and involves experts from any required team to resolve issues as quickly as possible with the most effective solution.
· Coordinates with other support and business team members during new site builds, moves and integrations to complete complex integration tasks.
· Develops technical and operational expertise of IT operations, related applications and IT systems as well as business related processes and procedures.
· Maintains technical expertise of current Windows and Apple operating systems and application software and maintains knowledge of operating system and major application lifecycle timelines and new features.
· Maintains and consistently demonstrates an expert knowledge of company guidelines, processes, practices and procedures.
· Maintains and administers an existing Altiris Notification and Deployment server environment to ensure maximum availability and usability.
· Maintains and administers an existing McAfee endpoint encryption environment to ensure all mobile and laptop endpoints are encrypted.
· Demonstrates excellent technical knowledge of desktop, server and network hardware, software and systems.
· Creates and maintains clearly written documentation.
· Demonstrates a continuous desire to understand future technologies.
· Displays a mastery of planning and implementation techniques.
· Delivers strong desire to understand and exceed customer expectations.
Required Experience & Skills
· Windows and Apple operating systems
· Windows Server
· Microsoft Office
· Exchange 2010/2013
· Routers, switches and firewalls
· Sophos Anti-virus
· Symantec Altiris Endpoint Management
· JAMF Casper - Apple Device Management
· Bit Locker and McAfee Endpoint Encryption
· Remote control tools
· College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or Minimum 5 years related experience providing Level 2 Desktop, Server or Network support
· Industry certifications, which include A+, N+ and/or MCSE/MCITP EA
· Experience participating in Disaster Recovery planning and on-site support as needed for DR drills.
· Flexible schedule to work extended hours and weekends when required to support Arrow’s business groups globally including 24x7 On-call technical support on a rotation basis
· Travel when required (up to 10%)
Preferred Experience and Skills
· Microsoft Office 365 Configuration and Management
· SQL Server Management Studio
· Microsoft Active Directory and GPO Management
· Experience with Wise Package Studio 7/Symantec Admin Studio to create automated application package distribution solutions: MST, MSP, MSI
· Virtualization: VMWare VDI and Citrix
· WYSE Device Manager [WDM]
· Experience with Windows Shell scripting, WMI, VB Scripting and or PowerShell
· Experience providing Project Management for IT Infrastructure-related initiatives
Most people live in the present. But a handful of us live in a world that doesn’t exist yet — the world of Five Years Out. Five Years Out is the tangible future. And it’s a way of thinking at Arrow that serves as a springboard for innovators, helping them see what’s coming and stay ahead of what’s ahead.
We are much more than products and services. We’re a community of designers, engineers, builders and visionaries who navigate the path between possibility and practicality, across the complete lifecycle of electronics, in some of the fastest-growing commercial and industrial markets on the planet.
The work we do is everywhere, from things you’ve never seen to things you can’t live without. A Fortune 119 company with more than 18,700 employees in over 90 countries, and 2016 sales of $23.8 billion, we guide innovation forward for the world’s leading technologies used in homes, businesses and daily life. If it takes a charge, chances are we helped design it, build it and get it to market.
Are you Five Years Out? Then chances are, you’ll enjoy working with us.
Arrow is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Arrow will make reasonable accommodations that enable qualified individuals to perform the essential functions of their jobs so long as the accommodation does not create an undue hardship.